Superbowl White Bean Dip
Super easy dip to serve for any party, or as a side to dinner.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 15 oz cans canellini beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 head fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup sausage crumbled (optional – I had some cooked up from breakfast, so I threw it in for extra flavor – chorizo would be awesome here.)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Saute the onion until translucent, about 5 min. Add the sausage if using, I precooked mine, so it was already drained. If you use it raw, cook it through and then drain off the fat.
- Add the beans – I took out about half the water in each can. Add cumin, red pepper, and salt. Continue to stir until it gets nice and bubbly. Then add in the cilantro. Before adding the cheese, I hit it with the immersion blender. You could use a potato masher or pastry cutter to do the same job. I blended just a bit to get that nice bean dip texture with a little chunkiness. Adjust any of spices and cheese to your taste.
- Warm a bag of tortillas chips in the oven for 5-6 min, and serve with a bit of sour cream if you have that on hand.