Here is my take on Chicken Soup! I usually make this once a week on Sunday, and take it for lunch for the week. I use a rotisserie chicken and store-bought chicken stock, so it’s a quick and easy meal you can make ahead to have for the week! It’s a warm, comforting meal in the cold weather. You can modify this easily with any veggies you have on hand, but onion, celery and carrot are the best base for this soup, in my opinion. This is my winter go-to meal. So filling and warm.
Chicken and Veggie Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups leafy green of your choice, roughly chopped (I had bok choy in the fridge)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dill I use Penzeys
- 1 tsp Mural of Flavor from Penzeys
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded or use 3 cups cooked chicken breasts shredded
- In a medium stock pot, heat the oil and butter til melted. Add vegetables and saute about 5 minutes. You sauté the veggies in butter/oil mix to give it flavor and richness - it makes a big difference in your soup! Season with Salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock, dill and spices. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and simmer til chicken is hot.
- check taste and add more salt/pepper if needed
- Serve with crusty bread, add a little cooked pasta or rice of your choice if you'd like that addition.